ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - TASK 3

 ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY.

(Week 9 - Week 14)
Angdio Nagarico (0340052)
Advanced Typography
TASK 3


LECTURES.

Week 9.
Mr. Vinods starts to told us about task 3 and brief us through a little bit about what are the things that we are going to face for the next few weeks.

Week 10.
Mr. Vinods starts giving us some feedbacks about the ideas that we were going to choose the font making task and also guide us through the process of creating a font and also give us some feedback for the next meeting.

Week 11.
This week Mr. Vinods starts to see our progress or sketches for the font and give us all some feedbacks and told all of us to start digitalise our work.

Week 12.
This week is the last week for getting an advice or feedback from Mr. Vinods and he told everyone to starts to post our TASK 3 on our blog because next week is the submission date.

Week 13.
Submission Date.

INSTRUCTIONS.



TASK 3: Type Exploration and Application.

In this task we were supposed to create and design a font that are meant to connect with with a part of ideas or concept that you're interested about.

The way to do this task is to do some research to understand the point of connecting both of the font and the ideas that we were going to choose. My idea of this task is to try and create a font that is related to the music world but not just by the specific genre but as a whole music world such as the music symbols or notes that we usually see on a music sheets or anywhere that requires that kind of symbols.

MUSIC NOTES/SYMBOLS IDEAS.

Fig 1.1 reference 1

The ideas that I got from this picture are from the different stroke of the symbols that has a thick and thin line, by having a thick and thin line it can help me to figure out what type design that I wanted to create for the font and another idea from this picture is the circles on every end of the symbols can help me to create a volume for the font that I wanted to make and it can also be interesting to add on a curvy letters.


Fig 1.2 reference 2

This picture is the type of font that I was trying to make and design but for my font it'll be less boxy and less wide than this picture.

This is the only sketch that I have made:

Fig 1.3 my sketch.

In this sketch there are some specific points that needs to be explain. The first point is at the letter C and G, in these letters I was trying to create the font not just by the music note and symbols but I was also trying to add some touches of a music instrument in it so it can be use for the curvy letter, the middle line that I have inserted on both of that letters is to represent the instrument harp. Second point is the thin line for the straight letters, it is to represent the staff line on music sheets. Lastly is the circle thing on most of the letters, that is to represent the note head on a music symbol.


I only did one attempt for this task because I was in the edge and didnt have the time to do another attempt.

These are the screenshot of my Ai progress.

Fig 1.4 Ai progress 1.


Fig 1.5 Ai progress 2.

In the end of digitalising my font I decided to make another small variant to see if it would make it better or not, I decided to insert the staff line across the letter to see how does it look like but it doesn't fit my taste so I took it away again.


Fig. 2.1 with the staff line.


This is the final result of my music font on JPEG.

Fig 2.2 Final Work.



GET FONT: Angdio Music Font


Collateral.

Music Building collateral in PDF.





COLLATERAL PROGRESS.

Fig 2.3 collateral progress 1.


Fig 2.4 collateral progress 2.


Fig 2.5 collateral progress 3.


Fig 3.1 collateral progress 4.

"01 HARMONIE MUSIC STUDIO" Building collateral JPEG.

Fig 3.2 01 HARMONIE MUSIC STUDIO.



FEEDBACKS.

Week 13:
This week is the week of submission for our last task. Mr. Vinod wanted to see me but I didn't attend the class.

Week 12:
General feedback: Mr Vinod told everyone to be ready for next week because it it the submission week for our final task and he also told us to start on posting work into our blog.

Week 11:
General feedback: In this week Mr. Vinod told everye to try to finish our digitalised work and start on generating the font because it's already near the due date.

Week 10:
General feedback: For this week Mr. Vinod said to us if our sketches has been approve please start on the digitalise process because it will take a lot of time to do.

Week 9:
General feedback: This week Mr. Vinod announce the last task which is the type exploration and application, he briefed us through a little bit about what do we have to do for the task and also give us some advice.

REFLECTION.

Experience: 
To be completely honest I was really struggling with this tasks because it was really out of my comfort zone even though I keep on telling myself that it will get easier if I keep on doing it but it doesn't and I am really thankful for the outcome that I did and I am quiet satisfied with my work especially the task 3.

Observation:
What I have observed for the past few weeks is that my fellow classmate has a very different tastes and also very talented but the most important things is that I learn quite something about typefaces.

Findings:
I found out that I have a really small percentage on creating font by myself and it was really a struggle for me but on the other side I really enjoy designing typefaces but not making it into a working font because creating a typeface that we designed is way harder than just designing/drawing it out on your iPad.


FURTHER READING.

Design Elements, TYPOGRAPHY Fundamentals.



From this book I learnt about why creating a typeface correctly is very important, I also learned that there are so many thing that we should look out for on a typeface such as the colour, size, alignment, whitespace, and consistency.

















I also learnt about the part of typeface that we have to focus on like even though the smallest details such as kernings can make a whole lot of differentiation among other letters and it also make me realise that having an awkward spacing between letter to letter is really not a great combination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VISUAL SOUND PRODUCTION - PROJECT 2.

INTERCULTURAL DESIGN - PROJECT 1-2-and FINAL PROJECT.

INFORMATION DESIGN - EXERCISES AND PROJECTS.